Friends of Tamarac is a 501(C)3 non-profit organization established in October of 1992 by friends of the Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge. The mission of Friends is to facilitate activities and programs that interpret, protect and restore the natural and cultural resources of the refuge. This group supports the work of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and encourages the public to become more aware of the refuge’s wildlife and environmental education resources. Projects supported by Friends include:
- Interpretive and educational programs
- Improvement of visitor center exhibits
- Assist with special events
- Development of a library of educational materials
- Support of the refuge’s volunteer program
- and many other emerging activities.
Operation of Friends is supported by the sales from the Tamarac Friends Book and Giftshop (located in the visitor center) as well as by the membership dues and donations by supporters of the Friends of Tamarac.